Climate Activist and Sustainable Development Pioneer
SUNx Malta is a not for profit program, partnered with the Ministry of Tourism and Consumer Protection of Malta, and Malta Tourism Authority, focused on "Climate Friendly Travel" ~ low carbon: SDG linked: Paris 1.5 trajectory. We continue the work of our mentor, the late Maurice Strong - Climate Activist and Sustainable Development pioneer.
We deliver an annual State of the Sector Report and related Think Tank: We have started a Climate Friendly Travel graduate Diploma with the Institute for Tourism Studies in Malta and will train 100,000 Strong Climate Champions by 2030.
Finally we have launched - a global Registry for 2050 Climate Neutral Ambitions to be a catalyst for increased sector carbon reduction and the Travel & Tourism conduit to the UNFCCC Climate Action Portal.
The Government of the Republic of Malta has partnered with SUNx to create SUNx Malta as the Global Centre for Climate Friendly Travel (CFT) Low Carbon: SDG linked: Paris 1.5 trajectory.
With these measures, Malta is signalling its intention as a small island state, with a big tourism economy, to also be a Climate Friendly Travel leader.
To advance this thinking we will:
- Co-produce an annual CFT Review
- Manage a Malta CFT 2050 Ambitions Registry
- Hold an annual Malta Think Tank and STRONG UN Assembly event to stimulate research and innovation
- Train 100,000 young Strong CFT Champions across all UN States for company & community transformation
The innovation hub has two types of information. We are posting global innovations related to Travel & Tourism from anywhere in the world, and typically, these are web-links to the original article, with a title. We are continuously updating and expanding this cache of information. We are also asking registered parties if they have anything that is particularly innovative. One of the questions in Part B of the Registration asks to list any such innovative developments, and we will reflect those in the innovation hub as well.
The Strategy Hub provides access to global, regional and national strategic developments with regards to sustainable development and climate action. The strategic information may not be directly applicable to registered parties, but it provides the background or the context for the development of carbon reduction plans.
The Learning Hub contains a curated collection of multi-media content around the Paris Climate Accord and the other 16 Sustainable Development Goals. We draw on the vast array of publicly available videos, speeches, and research reports being produced by leading organisations and individuals inside and outside the sector.
Advisory Services Hub
The Advisory Services Hub provides help to develop sustainability plans and carbon reduction strategies. It has three sections.
- A listing of SDG17 partners who have signed an agreement with SUNx Malta to mutually advance Climate Friendly Travel and form a network of support to registered companies
- A list of consultants that can provide sustainability assessment services and help companies to work out carbon footprints. The Climate Friendly Travel Registry and SUNx Malta have no commercial or other relationships with any of these companies, but we have selected them as we believe they are credible organisations. We have no control over the conditions of service under which they operate, and we cannot accept any responsibility or liability for services or advice provided by these companies.
- A Guidance Documents section with links to practical guidance documents that may be useful for the development of sustainability and carbon reduction plans.
The visibility hub provides marketing and visibility opportunities through SUNx Malta outreach and through partnership agreements with relevant organisations.
Our supporting partners
Sustainable First inspires actions and strategies for moving towards a more sustainable pattern of development in tourism providing prosperity and opportunities for all. Our vision is to make the tourism industry the leading activity sector in implementing sustainable strategies. Sustainable First is not a certification program but aims to recognize individuals, companies and organizations making significant efforts and contributing to the environmental, social and economic welfare of the planet and all its inhabitants. #BeSustainableFirst
The global Green Travel Maps with its services for certificates and destinations support the visibility of Tourism businesses, destinations and tour operators that demonstrably contribute to an environmentally friendly and socially compatible Tourism.
- World: Search the global map below with more than 15,000 locations!
- Europe: View our national and destinations' Green Travel Maps.
The Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association (TOTA) is a not-for-profit society governed by the BC Societies Act. We are an industry-led organization, who represent and support business and community tourism interests throughout the Thompson Okanagan region. We stimulate ongoing sustainable growth by embracing the value of tourism through community engagement, innovative leadership in promoting authentic experiences, and inspiring creative collaboration.
The World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) represents the global private sector of Travel & Tourism, with a mission to ensure the sector is seamless, secure, safe, inclusive and sustainable. We raise awareness of Travel & Tourism’s value, not just as one of the world’s largest economic sectors, but also to the many communities and travellers enriched through their experiences.